Despite building emergencies and Christmas fairs, work has progressed on the etchings for the Medusa Calendar (for 2014). But I have been so busy with stuff I have not had time to post about stuff, so here is the next etching, printed yesterday… for October, of course:
Quite pleased that this is both scary and jolly at the same time! On the technical side, if you are interested, the foreground stuff is created by etching the plate heavily and burnishing the highlights back in, in the manner of a Mezzotint print (except the actual white of the faces – that’s metal left un-etched). The background was a spur-of-the-moment idea that I am very pleased I took a chance on: I lightly abraded a protective stop-out surface on the metal with a bit of Scotch Brite (like a scouring pad), before dipping it into the etching solution. I did this several times so that all the little fine scratched lines were etched into the surface, some deper than others and some quite subtle.
It reminds me very much of a rough scratchy wall, not completely like my house but there is something in common there, and it was the initial inspiration so forgive me if I post the photo once more for illustrative purposes:
I have to admit that walls were not a thing I generally gave much thought to until two weeks ago, when a large amount of the side wall (this being the front) quite literally fell off the house. However, more on that in due course: I have discovered an artistic opportunity there…