The Monkshood Fairy - close-up

Finally a finished painting: Aconitum Napellus, The Monkshood Fairy

Finally I have got this on the scanner. I may say that at a little over 13 x 19 inches this picture requires 4 scans with an A4 scanner and some careful fiddling and stitching together by hand, all done at 600 dpi, which gives my computer a bit of a headache nowadays, so this is not a 5-minute job! The Tobacco Fairy will follow in due course. So, here she is in glorious close-up detail: (clicking the images should give you larger versions) …what has a spider to do with monkshood? that was in my first post about this…

Progress on the Poison Flower Fairies: Monkshood

So… I have managed to begin painting the first of the Poison Flower Fairies. I had this idea back in about August of last year, collected many photographs as the flowers came into season, finally worked up some sketches in January and I have at last begun to put actual paint on actual paper, seven months later… The sketch for this one appeared in this blog entry: https://nancyfarmer.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/sketches-for-the-poison-flower-fairies/ …so, straight into painting. Here is the picture drawn out and the tones put down in Prussian Blue. This is all gouache paint, except for occasionally where it’s watercolour. This is under-painting…

Monkshood: Aconitum Napellus

Sketches for the Poison Flower Fairies

I had an idea some months ago that a series on The poison Flower Fairies would be rather entertaining. Following on from my Flower Fairies go to Seed, a series which has so far amounted to a mere three paintings (all of which I have now sold), I am once again short on fairies… In fact, the idea for this series came to me following a pot plant-related trip to casualty… but more on that when I come to Euphorbias, in the meantime I thought I would start with a real nasty. This is Monkshood, or Aconitum Napellus: It’s a…